Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Beginning

As you probably know if you're looking at this blog, I will soon be headed to Africa for 10 months. I feel that God has called me to serve Him in Chad, and so to Chad I go. I will be keeping this blog updated (with the help of Kelsey) before and during my travels to Africa. I want you all to be able to keep up with what's going on in my life while I'm gone and to see how God is at work.

I chose the title "Desert Journey" mainly because of the verse that is found in Hosea 2:14. It says, "Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her." I chose this as my theme because, as I said before, I feel that God has called me to service in Africa. While, I'm excited about the experience I will have, I have not been fooled into thinking that it will be all roses and sunshine while I'm there. It's going to be emotionally, spiritually, and physically rough. But I know that God will be with me and will speak His comforting words of peace to my soul. My mission is service, but I also believe that God is going to use this experience to draw me even closer to Him, to help me fall deeper in love with Him.

Here are some of the details of the plan so far:
When: End of August 2008 - End of June 2009
Where: Beré Hospital in Chad, Africa
What: Serve as a nurse

More details will follow as they fall into place... Please pray for me.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Kristin
What a dedicated brave girl you are!
Indeed, when you enter into service like you are and have steadfast faith that God is with you, He will reveal Himself. Take courage while He appears to let you show faith through waiting.
Be still and know that I am God. Let not your heart be troubled: For I am your God who loves you. And I will be with you always (Paraphrased)
God speed, Mrs. Baker

Unknown said...

You're in my Bible! :-D

Brian said...

Kristin,
I hope work is going well. This was the first time that I found your "Dester Journey" Blog. It looks great. You and I will both be leaving about the same time then. I haven't set any date of return yet. (Maybe I should do that before I leave, Hmmm??). I know that I have a lot of ways to grow this year even before I leave. Pray that I will be ready. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Kristin
I am in AWE of what God is doing, has done and will do in your life and those you are serving. Aunt Bonnie has given me the info to read and post. I will be praying for you. Thank you for sharing your journey!
Kim Evans

Anonymous said...

Kristin,

You know you are in my prayers. I guess I feel a lot like you...excited for you and a little scared!!! But you and I both know you are in good Hands!!!!! He loves you and will never forsake you!!!!!

Grandma Thomas