Sunday, December 13, 2009

Solemn Meditation

I saw this family, and I knew they were different. They didn't share in the general jovial community sense that the rest of the parents and family members had in the pediatrics ward. Granted, some families don't always; when their children are hovering precariously between death and life, they don't always take part in the community atmosphere. And yet this family's little girl was able to walk, was not lying limply from malaria, meningitis, or other savage illnesses. Her life was not hanging in the balance.

I asked around about her. "Why is she here? What's her diagnosis?"

Then it all made sense. Despite the fact that she was physically alive and her body was not being ravaged by disease, her family was mourning her death. Or at least the death of her innocence. This ten year old girl had been raped by a family member, and now her father and mother mourned in silence as they comforted and loved her. Their somber affects and gentle care for their daughter as they grieved the loss of her innocence is something I won't soon forget.

Crimes against innocence are of the vilest nature. And yet how often do I myself not respectfully mourn the loss of innocence? Because one day in ages past, innocence was slaughtered on a hill called Golgotha, and so often I carelessly mention that death without allowing its gravity to sink in. Even worse, I often scorn the death of innocence by my own crimes against it in choosing self over love.

3 comments:

Christen said...

Ouch! So true... :( If we only contemplated the depth of that sacrifice more often...

klevin canuto said...

hey sister, i`m missing you! how are things? i sent you an email, later i`m gonna read carefully your blog and post some comments, for now i only want to make sure you`ll check your email...God bless friend...

MATINA said...

I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.