Friday, March 27, 2009

House Call

I've had some really funny conversations with my family here because of our cultural differences, but I think last night beat all. I was sitting on the mat with my girls, and they were looking through my phone. Of course, all of the contacts on my phone are in English, so when Berthe got to "Home" in my contact list, she said, What's this number?"

Without pausing for thought, I said, "That's the number for my house."

Her eyes got wide with wonder. "If you call this number, your house will talk to you?!"

I laughed realizing that she had taken literally what I had said along with the fact that people only have cell phones here, not phones at their huts. I explained that no, my house cannot talk, but if I call that number my mother would pick up the phone and I could talk to her. Conversations like these have made me wonder just how much of a culture shock I'm going to have when I get home...

No comments: