Monday, February 16, 2009

Just Tired

Do you ever feel like the world's falling apart? Maybe not necessarily just your world, but the world. That's sort of how I feel at the moment.

A while back I got news that one of my nursing classmates was in a pretty bad skiing accident. She was in the ICU on a ventilator for a while, and I know that she was getting better last I heard, but that was a while ago.

Toward the beginning of my time here in Africa, I was told about someone I had known who was diagnosed with cancer that had spread all throughout her body. She was in her twenties, fairly recently married, and was a missionary in Korea with her husband. She died a few months after being diagnosed.

Last night I got to talk to my mother on the phone, and she told me that one of my cousin's wife just died unexpectedly last Thursday. She was in her thirties and had two kids, and one of them found her in the morning and couldn't wake her up.

On top of that, the baby that I named died last night also. She had many health problems from the time she was born, so it wasn't completely unexpected, but it was sad nonetheless.

Two of my friends just recently lost their grandfather unexpectedly.

The list goes on.

I know that people say this all the time, but I really don't think that this world can last much longer. I recently read through Isaiah for my devotions, and the other day I read one of the most comforting verses. I can't remember exactly what it says and my Bible is in my hut at the moment, but I think it was in Isaiah 57, maybe verses 1-3... Anyway, it basically says that when the righteous die, it's one way that God is sparing them from evil. After reading that, I couldn't help but think, "Maybe God is starting to take people out of this world to spare them from what's about to come." Perhaps that combined with the fact that Satan knows his days are numbered and they're drawing to a close, so he's attacking for all he's worth.

Either way, I can't help but think that time is short, and praise God for that. I'm tired of seeing people in pain. I'm tired of watching people hurt and not being able to do anything. I know God is tired of it too, and I'm sure He is even more anxious for all the pain and hurt to be finished than I am.

Post Note: I apologize if this was a depressing post. I just had to write to get things off my mind. And despite the way that things sound in this post, I promise you I am far from depressed.

1 comment:

Christen said...

I too have noticed similar things lately...not necessarily about death, but more about emotional pain. There's so much inner turmoil that some people endure, and you'd never know unless you'd befriended them. I've seen some people draw nearer to Christ because of it and others fall away from Him. How do I, trapped in the middle, completely naive, reach them all and show them God's love?