Thursday, February 26, 2009

Homesick

It seems ridiculous to still be homesick after 6 months of being here, and maybe even more now than I was when I first came. But I am.

This morning I was cleaning up in my hut, and I found some letters and pictures that my Mom had sent me a while back. So of course, I started looking through them. I came to a picture of my brother, Stephen, sitting on the couch with our sister-in-law, and I don't know why but it triggered something in me, and I just wanted to go home. It made me just want to be able to sit on the couch at home with my family so close that I could touch them.

After cleaning my hut, I took some time out to talk to God. As I was telling him how I felt, how much I just want to be at home, face to face with my family, I had another of those deep impressions that this is how my God feels too. It just hit me, that God's heart aches like that to be face to face with us, for us to be so close He could reach out and touch us.

Yet, as homesick as I am for home, I think being here has also made me more homesick for heaven than I ever have been before. And I think that in a way, God is homesick too.

Philippians 3:20

No comments: