Thursday, November 20, 2008

Theory of Fearlessness

This is just a small excerpt (with some slight changes) from an email I wrote, but I thought I would post it here. This is my theory of fearlessness.


It's funny; I think I've always been really fearful of lots of things. When I was little and dad and mom would leave at night even if it were just to go to the grocery store, I couldn't sleep until I heard the door open and them come in because I was afraid that something would happen to them. And even in college, there were lots of times when I was afraid of different things.

But I think that just before coming to Africa, like at the end of last semester in school, I began to realize that God had plans for me, and that he would keep me safe. I came up with a theory that has helped me not to be afraid while I'm here. It goes something like this: I don't think that God brought me to the middle of Africa just to die; I believe that He brought me here to do His work and to spread His love. And, even if God did bring me here to die, my life is in His hands, and there's no better place to be.

God has a plan for me, and I have no need to be afraid of anything that comes my way or that might come my way because fear is wasted energy when the God of the universe holds you in His hands. It's helped me to remember this a lot of times. There have been so many opportunities for fear since I've been here-- there are pit vipers here, I walk home every night by myself in the dark, the small war, and lots of others-- but I don't think I can really remember being scared except for when I was riding the horse and fell off. Even then, I think I knew that I would be ok.

I'm not saying that nothing bad will happen to me, because bad things do happen even to those who love God. But, I have no need to fear what will happen to me because ultimately, my life is in God's hands.

1 comment:

laSonya said...

Amen to that. It seems that while living in Africa we all have to choose that theory. It's that or die of simple fear.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and self discipline. 1 timothy 1:7

~sonya